Churros with Chocolate Sauce
Yield: ~ 12 churros
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Cooling Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
For the Churros:
- ½ cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Swerve
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup unflavored and unsweetened whey protein powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Keto-friendly oil or fat for deep frying (avocado oil, lard, etc.)
For the Coating:
- ¼ cup Swerve
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heavy pinch of salt
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 ½ ounces Bake Believe® Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, roughly chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Place the water, butter, Swerve, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle on the xanthan gum.
- Add the almond flour and whey protein powder and stir well to combine.
- Allow the dough to cool for 10 minutes, then beat in the egg and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Fill a pot with enough keto-friendly oil or fat to be at least 2 inches deep.
- Mix together the ingredients for the churro coating in a medium bowl.
- Bring the oil 350°F over a high heat, then reduce to a medium heat.
- Transfer the churro dough to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Carefully pipe the churro dough into the hot oil, using a pair of scissors to cut the end.
- You want each churro to be about 3 inches long. Be careful not to overcrowd the oil.
- Fry the churros until they are a deep golden brown color, then transfer to a paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
- While they are still hot, roll the churros in the coating mixture and tap to remove the excess.
- Repeat with the remaining churro dough.
- Place the heavy cream and chopped dark bar in a medium heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Serve the churros with the chocolate sauce and enjoy!