Salty-Sweet Cracker Toffee
Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Cooling Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
For the Crackers Layer:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Candy Layer:
- ¾ cup Swerve
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup Bake Believe® Milk Baking Chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and egg.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix well until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper until it is almost the dimensions of a cookie sheet and is about ⅛-inch thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper and leave the rolled dough on the bottom layer.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch squares and poke several holes in each square with a fork.
- Place the parchment paper with the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake until browned and firm, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the crackers to cool completely, then break up into individual pieces.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease with coconut oil.
- Arrange the crackers onto the foil, pushing them as closely together as possible.
- Lift the edges of the foil to make a wall right around the edge of the crackers.
- Increase the oven heat to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, combine the Swerve and 1 stick of butter.
- Place over a medium-high heat and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture becomes a golden-brown color.
- Pour the mixture over the crackers and carefully tilt the pan to evenly distribute the candy layer.
- Place the crackers with the candy coating back in the oven and bake until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool until warm, but no longer hot.
- Place the 1 cup milk chips and 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a medium heat-proof bowl, then microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Spread the melted milk chips evenly over the crackers.
- Sprinkle the top with the chopped pecans.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill until the top layer is firm, about 10 minutes.
- Break the toffee into pieces. It will break where the crackers are.
- Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.