Bake Believe’s No Sugar Added, Gluten Free Chocolate-Pecan Turtle Apple Slices
Yield: 10 apple slices
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Caramel:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar alternative such as Sukin Gold
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Apples:
- 2 cups Bake Believe® Dark Chocolate Baking Chips
- 2 red apples, sliced lengthwise into 5 slices each
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- To make the caramel, add the butter to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring the butter frequently, until it turns brown and begins to smell nutty. Add the brown sugar alternative, heavy cream, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a very low simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring gently occasionally.
- Place the pot of caramel in an ice bath and stir constantly until the caramel becomes firm, but pourable. Set aside.
- Insert a wooden popsicle stick into each apple slice. Pat the apple slices until dry with a paper towel and set aside. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the 2 cups dark chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a small heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Check the caramel that you made before and heat slightly if it has become too hard. A pourable, but thick consistency is desired. Working 1 apple slice at a time, dip into the melted chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining apples.
- Drizzle the apple slices with the caramel sauce and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes until the chocolate has hardened. Enjoy.